A web-cam abortion is one of the newer innovations coming from the abortion industry. During this procedure, a doctor can sit in front of his or her computer in a remote location—even in another state—and prescribe the abortion drug. The woman considering the procedure discusses her situation with the doctor via Skype. If the physician is satisfied with their conversation, and after taking a brief look at her medical records, he will then push a button on his computer, which opens a drawer at the clinic where the woman is, thus giving her access to the drug. This is usually done at a Planned Parenthood facility.
RU-486, the drug used in chemical abortions, is actually two different drugs that are taken two days apart. The first drug is Mifepristone, and it is used to cut off all nutrition going to the developing unborn child, effectively starving the child to death. Mifepristone is given by an attending nurse during the web-cam procedure while the expectant mother is at the clinic. The mother is then given the second chemical drug—Misoprostal—to take at home two days later. This drug is used to expel the dead child.
The abortion process can take from several days to several weeks to accomplish; however, the problem with chemical RU-486 is that not only is the unborn baby killed, but many times the mother’s life is at risk as well. According to documents released by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), many women have become very ill, suffered extreme pain, or hemorrhaged to the point of having to be hospitalized after using this drug. Several deaths have even been reported. If complications do arise following a web-cam procedure, the woman has no one to turn to for help, since the prescribing doctor is not readily accessible.
Planned Parenthood is a huge supporter of web-cam abortions, and they refer to this process as telemedicine or telehealth. The truth is that web-cam abortion is really about money and profit for Planned Parenthood, with little concern for the health of the woman. Despite their efforts to publicize their non-abortion related services within the organization, pre-natal and adoption services only amount to approximately 5 percent of their overall business. Abortion services make up the other 95 percent. Planned Parenthood is a business focused on revenue from abortions. They rake in massive profits from the 333,000-plus web-cam and clinical abortions they perform each year, in addition to the $300 million they receive from American taxpayers annually. Today, they report assets of over $1 billion.
Last week the Missouri House of Representatives passed HB 400, a bill I co-sponsored and one that desires to ban all web-cam abortions in Missouri. The intent of this legislation is to protect women from an industry looking to profit from their situations. HB 400 is more about the protection of a woman’s health than it is about abortion, and it seeks to insure that any doctor who performs abortions using RU-486 must first follow proper procedures. He must meet with the woman personally, do an examination, and inform her of any health risks associated with the abortion drug before he can prescribe it.
It is tragic if a woman makes the choice to abort her baby, but she should still have access to the utmost quality of care by a physician. While it is heart-breaking to lose one life, why jeopardize the life of another?